Monday, December 12, 2011

I'm Canadian but was married in India, registered there. I want to change my last name. Do I need to....?

register the marriage here (in Ontario where we now live) or how do I go about letting the government of Canada know that I'm married? It's probably a simple task but seems all very confusing to me. Thanks for the help. :-))I'm Canadian but was married in India, registered there. I want to change my last name. Do I need to....?
(1) What is not clear is under which marriage act you were married in India - there are at least 6 types - Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Foreign, Special, Tribal.

(2) Is your spouse living with you in Canada (if so) do you remember what the immigration authorities were told, when your spouse's visa was issued?

(3) Depending on the answers to the above two issues perhaps all you may need to do is simply register you name change by deed-poll - a simple Court order will usually suffice, along with a public notice in the newspapers.I'm Canadian but was married in India, registered there. I want to change my last name. Do I need to....?
you cannot change your name on the birth certificate.



If you do change your name to your husbands that would have been done on the wedding certificate.



Otherwise you can just start using his name and show the wedding certificate as your proof.



You DO have a wedding (marriage) certificate dont you??

No comments:

Post a Comment