Sunday, November 21, 2010

How am I suppose to give change out from a cash register?

Customers give me coins after I put in the amount and I'm looking like a retard. For example, amount is $3.73 and they give me $20.03 like how much money am I suppose to give back? P.S. It's my first job. How am I suppose to give change out from a cash register?
Just add that to the change figure shown on the register, and you're good to go! Remember that the reason people do that in the first place is to make their change come out more evenly...How am I suppose to give change out from a cash register?
Im pretty slow at basic math myself so I would suggest getting youself a little handheld calculator that you can keep in your pocket or at your register for such things. You can get a cheap one at stores like the Dollar Tree for a buck.
Wow. Hey, you should glare at the customer good and long for doin that crap to you. Be like, ooooohh you had to give me the 3 friggin cents huh?! well here's your change BUDDY! and give them 16.27 back.. the real change for gettin a 20. None of this give you 20 bucks plus 3 pennies crap!!
Keep a calculator by your register. In that case that would customer would receive 16.30 (20.03-3.73) using the calculator. Many people like even change so I would have a calculator most definitely.
Its simple math! To be a cashier, all you need to do is count to 100. Can't do that? Instead of counting back 27 cents, isn't giving back a quarter and a nickel much easier?

If you type that they gave you $20 and they hand you another 3 cents, you can't add 3 cents to the $16.27 that is showing on the register?
This is a great question really. Because I had to be trained to get this right. Two methods:



1) The newer cash registers give one the ability to enter in 20.03 as the amount tendered into the cash register. Then the register calculates the change, and you count that to the customer as you give it to them. And talk as you do this, ';here is ten, fifteen, sixteen dollars and thirty cents.';



2) Before cash registers were computerized we had to count to ourselves to pull the change out. Then we had to count it back, out loud, as we give the customer their change. I do the change first so that if I have to carry the one, I know before I get to the bills. Ignore, for a moment, the dollars and realize that you need 30 cents to get to 03. Count to your self 30 + 73 gets me to 03, carry a one. That one brings me to 4 (4 dollars, now I am into the bills). 20 - 4 = 16. Pull out the 16 dollars into your hand. You already have 30 cents ready. Then count back as you place their money into their hands. Start with the purchase price. Say ';three-seventy-three'; pass them the 30 cents and say ';four-oh-three'; then hand them the one dollar bill and say ';five-oh-three'; then hand them the five and say ';ten-oh-three'; and lastly hand them their ten and say ';twenty-oh-three.'; ';Thank you and have a nice day.';



You will look very sharp doing that. Practice at home. And always remember that you can ask this of the manager. That would be better than having a short drawar (or an overage). After some practice, the same math comes up over and over and it becomes easy.





Remember, count twice. Count the second time out loud. This gives your subconscious something to check.



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment