Friday, November 19, 2010

How do I get bank account or credit card in a professional name?

I have a career in a wholly invented professional name, simply a name that I felt better reflected what I do. It has never been my real name in the past, not my maiden name or anything. The problem is that now many people know me by this name, and I want to be able to give and receive payments in that name rather than reveal it's not my name at all. I don't want to change my registered name, I don't want a Deed Poll or anything like that, I just want some way of having an account in this name. It is not exactly unprecedented, many actors operate other than by their real names. I am in the UK. How do I go about this? Obviously I do not have a passport or birth certificate or anything in that name, and I am going to need to verify it's not for the purposes of fraud or anything, I just want to keep my professional name separate so my professional name does not identify my children in any way.



Has anyone done this? How do you do it?How do I get bank account or credit card in a professional name?
Go to your bank and ask them to set your account to accept cheques or payments in the name of Miss Flossy or what ever. Many sole traders have this facility.



Alternatively you could ask them to set you up a business account. You will have to produce evidence that you are running a business or you have a professional career as Miss Flossy - show them invoices, note paper, adverts or what ever you have. It all sounds very intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment