Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I just moved to a new town in the same state. Do I have to change the city my car is registered in?

It is more expensive here; and I'm not quite sure how this works...I bought 2 yr. registeration tags on my car in May...would I have to buy more stickers AND pay the difference of the cost of registeration? Could I change the registeration to my mom%26amp;dad's address, or my sister's?I just moved to a new town in the same state. Do I have to change the city my car is registered in?
depending on your state but you dont have to change registration unless you move to a different state... you can change towns, counties and not have to change anything, you just have to update your address with the dmvI just moved to a new town in the same state. Do I have to change the city my car is registered in?
You can change your address to anywhere you live. If you put down a false address to avoid taxes to a city, you have committed fraud and are subject to fines. Notify them of your new address for all of the vehicle registrations and also for your drivers license. Generally speaking registration is for a state, not a town, since the DMV is a state agency.
You have to change your address with the DMV - you DON'T pay any difference in cost.



You want to change the address, AND on your license, because the DMV mail is NOT forwardable.
I would not change it till your tags are due again that is what I would do.
Within 30 days. You will only have to pay a pro rated difference.
You have to notify the DMV in your state of your new address. Usually you have 10 days to do it, and you are required to do so by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment