Sunday, November 21, 2010

Trailor for jetski. It is not registered in my name how do I change that?

The lady that sold the trailor for this jetski insisted that it be signed over to my ex gf. She was a feminist and insisted. Now I need to sell the trailor with the registration signed over to her name. Can i still sell this trailor to someone else now that I am trying to sell the jetski? Please help.Trailor for jetski. It is not registered in my name how do I change that?
You need to get your ex to sign over the title either to you before the sale or directly to the purchaser. She will probably want the money from the sale. Depending where you live, you could possibly get a mechanics lein.Trailor for jetski. It is not registered in my name how do I change that?
gotta be a story behind that one. my guess is that the gf paid for it; not judging you, just like a good story.



You asked 2 questions, I'll answer the 2nd one first.

';Can i still sell this trailor to someone else...? ... The Trailor Title was never registered in her name.';



In most states, no, unless you're a licensed motor vehicle dealer, you have to register it before you can legally sell it. That's a sales tax compliance tool -- the state gets a cut every time it changes hands, and only a dealer can purchase it ';for resale.';



Question 1: ';how do I change that?';



Don't know about your jurisdiction, but where I live, it would go a lot easier if ';she'; registered it in her name first, then transferred it to you as a ';gift';. Look on the form used for motor vehicle title transfers; in most states there's a check box for ';gift';, and a minimum tax, like $10 or so instead of the 6-1/2% you gotta pay for sales tax. Course, that would require ';her'; signature.



good luck.
Check with the DMV.. In most states small trailers under 1000# dont need to be titled or registered. They just need to be plated..
Go to city office were you get your tags, and tell them you have a homemade trailer you built that you want to register. get a new set of tags in your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment