Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why do I have to change name servers after registered a domain name?

I registered a domain name, ex. (mydomain.com) already. Now I want my domain name works with my website, ex. (name.domain.net), which is already hosted on a free host.



I know there are 2 ways to make it work.

1. forward my domain to my website.

2. change the name servers of my domain name



Now, I can forward my domain name to my website.(no problem)



But, I do not understand the process of changing name servers.



Can anyone explain it for me?

If I change name servers to be those of my website(without forwarding), then what will happen?



Do I have to set anything else, such as ip of my website, hostname of my website, CNAME?



How can my domain name (.com) point to my (.net) website?Why do I have to change name servers after registered a domain name?
Hello,



Name servers determine where your DNS is hosted. For example, if you use HostMySite.com's name servers, HostMySite would host the DNS of your domain name. This DNS zone then determines to which IP address your domain name actually points.



You would need to find a company to host your DNS and ask them to setup a proper DNS zone before changing your name servers. Your web host should be able to accommodate this.



In order to have your ';domain name (.com) point to my (.net) website';, set the DNS of your .com domain name to point to the IP address of your .net website.



Good Luck!



Ryan Bradley

Junior Server Engineer

HostMySite.com

http://hostmysite.com/?utm_source=bbWhy do I have to change name servers after registered a domain name?
This AINT rocket science duh! A domain name means NOTHING if its not pointed to the url its meant for. The domain registry is NOT responsible for finding your site! All you are doing is RENTING a name!

Your url says NOWHERE whether its a .net or.com or whatever. Look at the url where you store your site, do you see this anywhere? If you want a dot.net, you aks for it when you sign up for a domain name.
There are Multiple Parts to having a Web Site.

The 1st Part is Getting a Domain Name from a Domain Register like Go-daddy, Network Solutions, etc. They Also maintain the information of where your domain is located.

Their are lots of Domain Hosts for you to deal with unless you get a Hosting agreement from the same company that Registers your Domain Name. How ever you get to Host your Web Site will give you the information to manage your web site including the Name of your DNS Servers 1 %26amp; 2. Many people don't get the Hosting from the same company that registers your name. I hope you registered your name for at least 5 years. Google will check your registry and give you a better rating, because most fly by night only get one year, they don't plan to be around long. 5 Years is like investing in your name. You will be surprised at the rates people give you for Hosting your site.

Before you go with a Host, Check the Hosting company out with:

http://webhosting.info/webhosts/search/

If you sign up with their free subscription, you can also get weekly reports on how your Host is doing. Like How Many Domains they are Hosting, who they are loosing business too and who they are talking business away from.

I try to choose a Host that has between 1000 and 3000 domains they are hosting. If I go with a Host that starts loosing lots of customer, then I may choose to move my site before they go under.

No comments:

Post a Comment