Sunday, November 21, 2010

What do you think of the following scenario in the world we live in today ? Texting and the following?

I know that kids are growing up with the use of calculators to do all the math for them and computers to do the same. Most can not even count out change from a register. I have seen them in action.





As far as texting , they are learning that its not necessary to know how to spell a word, just use a few letters. Will this have an affect on their ability to write , spell and read anything in the future to come . Or do you think its just a phase ?What do you think of the following scenario in the world we live in today ? Texting and the following?
It seems to me that over a period of many years our scholastic levels have gone downhill. Young adults can't count change back to customrers at restaurants or any customer oriented business.





My husband called an attorney's office a few years back and this was the conversation.





Receptionist, ';Hello';


My husband, ';Hello, is this so-and-so's office?';


Receptionist, ';Yeah';


My husband, ';Is so-and-so in?';


Receptionist, ';No';


My husband, ';To whom am I speaking?';


Receptionist, ';I be me, who be you?';


My husband hung up!





Would you want to do business with someone who hired an illiterate person who doesn't even know how to answer a business phone properly? It doesn't speak too highly of his skills either.





The younger generation doesn't seem to be taught much of anything ... Biblical truths, manners, English, math, respect, or common sense.





The easier things are made for them the less they will have in the way of education unless they really apply themselves. But that doesn't seem too likey either with the norm being adjusted to meet the needs of all the illegal immigrants flooding the U.S.A.





I took Greg Simplified Shorthand I and II in high school. But we couldn't take it unless we were making at least B's in English. Shorthand is comprised of symbols basically made up of using phonics. For instance: carry would be spelled out symbolically ';k-a-r-e';. In addition there were 156 brief forms that had to be memorized that could stand for more than one word and have more than one meaning depending on how it was used in a sentence. You see why English was so important.





Texting is similar to shorthand without the symbols. If you don't have a good grasp on English to begin with, you won't do well with spelling or reading.





Yes, I think our young people are being robbed of an education, an imagination, relationship building, good ol' common sense, etc. Both parents are working to make ends meet because they have an unrealistic concept of what is wanted vs. what is needed. Their children pay the consequences of their absence in the home ... latchkey kids coming home to an empty house opens the door wide open for Satan to step in and turn that kid everyway but loose. There's no guidance because parents are too tired to interact with their children or they're so frustrated themselves that they are turning to drink or drugs to get them through the evening to face another day.





When they took prayer, the pledge of allegiance to the flag, and the basics of Bible morals out of the schools, they opened the doors to total chaos in the world.What do you think of the following scenario in the world we live in today ? Texting and the following?
I hope it is just a phase. I grew up, and I'm only 29 yrs old, having to memorize, or mental math if you will, my math problems. I love, love the written English language so it is dispairing to see things like IDK for I do not know, etc. I do plan to teach my son the same way I grew up simply because I don't want him to have to pull out a calculator to do simple math that can be done in his head. As far as texting, I'm afraid it is here to stay. It's convenient and quicker than a phone call, not to mention cheaper on the phone bill.
I don't think it's a phase, it's just a faster way to communicate and fun to do so. The schools teach them the right way. My g/son who is 13 is an honor roll student. It hasn't hurt him in anyway by doing his abbreviations on his space on the computer. I taught him before kindergarten how to make change.


I feel that the parents or caregivers should always double check their child's homework to see how they are grasping today's methods of teaching.
Unfortunately, these kids have already seem to have lost the ability to spell properly, or any other word for that matter.





It is inevitable, you use what you practice. I sincerely fear for the generation that follows them.





We may eventually end up with an entirely new language.
I agree with 'Molly';...the future generations will most likely have a ';language'; all their own. But at the rate that our generation is destroying our natural resources, we may not have much of a World for future generation to incorporate this ';new language';.
I wish it were only a phase. Unfortunately it does affect kids. So many of them cannot spell, write, do simple math problems, or even think for that matter, and it's not getting any better. For a teacher it's a nightmare.
ALAS! I believe it's here to stay. I have also watched people who seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and ';roll with the flow'; and unfortunately, this stigma seem to stay with them. I have noticed with many of them they can hardly read and write and I attribute this to the failing system of education which assess students on a different basis than used when I went to school. It's a damning indictment on the so called system that guarantees only that a teenager leaves school totally ill equipped to handle responsibility in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment